[ncdnhc-discuss] A statement on the ICANN "reform" proposal

Jonathan Weinberg weinberg at mail.msen.com
Tue Feb 26 18:39:02 CET 2002

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Dave Crocker wrote:
> ICANN is not a design exercise.  It is tasked with ensuring continued
> operation of critical functions in Internet administration and operation.
> Yes, one can make a design that has, or omits, anything one wants.
> One cannot, however, make a successful ICANN that has a design that ignores
> that actual power of governments.
> Giving governments a purely advisory role will work only if the governments
> are willing to accept that role.  Here we have been seeing that they are not.
> Hence the goal is one of trying to find a balance that governments
> WILL accept.

	I'm aware of no evidence that Stuart Lynn put forward the proposal
to put government-selected directors on the ICANN Board because
governments indicated that they would "accept" nothing less.  Rather, the
moving force behind this proposal seems to be ICANN staff, motivated by
their perception of the greater legitimacy and stable funding base that a
more extensive govermnment role would bring.

Jon Weinberg
weinberg at msen.com