[ncdnhc-discuss] Re: Mission creep and consumer protection

Alejandro Pisanty - DGSCA y FQ, UNAM apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Sun Feb 10 18:45:22 CET 2002

James and Tim,

there is a difference between doing things in such a way that does not
harm consumers and becoming a consumer protection agency. The first is a
policy issue and I'm all ears for input. The second is mission creep, at
least unless the critics of mission creep are amenable to discuss it.

Pricing is and has been an issue. As already stated by others, competition
has been introduced with this and other purposes. At present, in gTLDs,
registry pricing has been capped and some registrars have actually brought
the price for names to nil (I won't be naive: we all know that this
happens through bundling).

Re .org future pricing, we can sure do with some input. Amazingly enough,
and though we may disagree ever so much, we should recognize that James
has introduced one of the very few voices that actually (at least intend
to) speak for the users.

Alejandro Pisanty

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Director General de Servicios de Computo Academico
UNAM, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
Tel. (+52-55) 5622-8541, 5622-8542 Fax 5550-8405
http://www.dgsca.unam.mx
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, www.isoc.org
=====>>> Participa en ICANN, www.icann.org