[ncdnhc-discuss] Nominating Adam Peake

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Feb 6 23:32:23 CET 2002

At 05:12 PM 2/6/2002 -0500, James Love wrote:
>Hi Dave.   I am a bit surprised to see that you don't see the DNSO as part
>of the ICANN governance structure.  ICANNiss supposed to be a "bottom up"
>organization, and the NCC is at the bottom of the DNSO, which is one of the
>SO's that elects members to the ICANN board of directors, and certainly some
>policies are deferred to the SOs.

Jamie, I am surprised that you are so casual about confusing general
concepts with specific details.

If one is going to make concrete proposals, it is necessary to pay
attention to those details.  As such, using a word as strong as
"governance" for a body that provides recommendations rather than rules, is
problematic.

>The conflicts of interest with the staff would include the fact that the
>staff is supposed to be accountable to the board and the SOs, and if they
>vote in the SOs, there is an element of being accountable to themselves that
>leads to problems.

You have delineated a purist construct that makes intuitive sense.  That
is, it works well as a general concept.

The problem is with carrying it through to show real potential for actual
damage to ICANN activity.  The real world is not viable if we demand
perfection, so we need to choose strictures carefully.  They are expensive.

Conflict of interest is only meaningful if that conflict can cause real
damage.  How does one staff member voting in a constituency do
damage?  What true authority does this person have, sufficient to make
their supposes conflict at all interesting?

And please make sure to note the tendency with which this particular voter
has been in the minority.  This makes it even more difficult to claim
negative effect.

>But if the ICANN CEO wants to greenlight Kent and other staff persons voting
>in the DNSO, and formally meddling with internal politics of the DNSO,

Meddling.  My what an interesting choice of terms to use in a group that is
supposed to be both oriented and concerned with civil society interests.

For a perspective that is typically claimed to be inclusive, the word
'meddling' is oddly EXclusive.

d/