[ncdnhc-discuss] Nominating Adam Peake

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Wed Feb 6 23:06:11 CET 2002

Jamie:

One very positive result of charging membership dues is that
many of the most problematical memberships from a conflict
of interest point of view have not coughed up the money
(as I always suspected would happen).

I strongly agree with you that it is now obviously inappropriate
for Kent Crispin to meddle in the constituency. (It has
always been inappropriate, because he was a paid consultant
to ICANN for some time, but now it is beyond doubt).
Formal nominations and seconding of candidates should be
confined to NCDNHC members. Most non-member
participants in our list are courteous and fair-minded enough
to do this voluntarily.

>>> "James Love" <love at cptech.org> 02/06/02 08:32AM >>>
Dany,

With Eron and everything else going on, I think it is time for ICANN to
grow up a bit and really take these issues of accountability and
conflicts of interest seriously.   It looks bad and is improper for the
ICANN staff to be active in the elections of a governing body, voting on
the resolutions or similar things.  And I think there are similar issues
concerning people who work for or run registrars or registries and also
having voting membership in the NCC.  And I would hope that those
seeking to be on governing bodies such as the ad com would not only see
this, but make sure that our own conflict of interest rules address such
obvious problems.

  Jamie