[ncdnhc-discuss] A statement on the ICANN "reform" proposal

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Mon Feb 25 18:21:41 CET 2002

Lynn's proposal is an admission that ICANN as it exists is a failure.
But we disagree entirely on what has failed and why.

Lynn's his notion of "reform" is to jettison all those aspects of ICANN
that were innovative and unique to the Internet community: the private
sector basis, the at-large membership as a proxy for the global Internet
community, the grounding in bottom-up consensus development, etc.
That is a real tragedy, for the rhetorical and occasional substantive
commitment to self-governance, however much it was honored in the
breach, was the only saving grace of ICANN.

I have been predicting since 1999 that ICANN would be pressured to
assume the form of an intergovernmental organization. This is not
something I wanted to see happen, it was just something I expected to
happen. The only thing surprising here is that it is ICANN's management
itself that is brazenly selling out to governments; I rather expected ICANN
would be pressured by governments to accommodate a larger role for
states. I even fantasized that the people who controlled ICANN would
resist it somewhat.

But I underestimated the narrow organizational imperatives that seem to
drive ICANN management. This reform plan seems to be motivated solely
by a desire to avoid the hard work of achieving legitimacy and to
quadruple its budget. The keystone of the plan is a Faustian bargain with
national governments. Instead of EARNING the support of ccTLDs,
Internet users, and other stakeholders they want to coast on taxation
and the second-hand political legitimacy of national governments. I don't
think that will be accepted by the global Internet community. And (while I
could be wrong) there is no indication of support for this move from the
US government. It may be that ICANN is (once again) thumbing its nose
at the USA and hoping that deals with the European Commission and a
few westernized Asian states will bring it greater independence from the
US. If that is part of the game, it is a very dangerous game indeed.

There is a basic contradiction here: if Internet governance is going to take
place via an intergovernmental regime, why start with the existing ICANN?
Why not start from scratch? Lynn and the small Jones Day clique may in
the end be hoist by their own petard.

--MM