[ncdnhc-discuss] Candidate Statement of Harold Feld

Harold J. Feld hfeld at mediaaccess.org
Fri Feb 15 17:58:12 CET 2002

My name is Harold Feld.  I have represented noncommercial interests in
the debate over DNS management since 1997.  I participated in the ICANN
formation process and have been an active participant in ICANN since.  I
am associate director of the Media Access Project, a non-profit lawfirm
dedicated to enriching the market place of ideas by enhancing the access
of the public to all media of communication so that they may speak and
hear information from as many sources as possible.

Like many, I have been dismayed at the failure of ICANN to create a
genuine means in which the interested internet user can exercise any
form of accountability over ICANN's exercise of its functions.  Those
avenues that do exist, such as the General Assembly, notice and comment
on various policy initiatives or publications, are often inaccessible to
the majority of users.  Worse, ICANN has created an impression that
results are predetermined by a select group of insiders and that
contrary input will be ignored or marginalized.

Within the structure of ICANN, only the Noncommercial Domain Name Holder
Constituency provides an avenue for non-commercial interests to exercise
a genuine, albeit limited role in the formation of ICANN policy.  The
NCDNHC therefore plays a critical role within the ICANN structure.  It
represents a depth and breadth of expertise and viewpoints not found
elsewhere in ICANN.  Furthermore, the NCDNHC is proof that when the pool
of available opinion expands to include greater diversity, we all
benefit from the improved quality of the debate.  NCDNHC has, through
its meetings and Names Council representation, often served as a voice
for the common Internet user in ICANN and a restraining influence on
those who would extend the power of ICANN to enhance their competitive
advantage in the Internet marketplace or diminish rights of free
expression that lie at the core of civil society values.

As a representative on the Names Council, I would:

1) Seek to enhance participation in ICANN by non-commercial interests
and the Internet community at large, and enhance public oversight of
ICANN's decision making and budget processes.

2) Seek to ensure that any actions undertaken by the Names Council or
ICANN remain sensitive to core civil society values such as free
expression and privacy.

3) Advocate against expansion of ICANN authority or "mission creep" that
results from leveraging ICANN's control of the unique root.

My thanks to all those who supported my nomination.

Harold Feld
Associate Director
Media Access Project