[ncdnhc-discuss] Candidate Statement for NCDNHC Election!

Chun Eung Hwi ehchun at peacenet.or.kr
Thu Feb 14 11:27:36 CET 2002

Dear NCDNHC Members,

This is my candidate statement for NCDNHC election.

I have participated in ICANN as a NCDNHC member since Yokohama meeting of
year 2000. Since then, as many other participants of this constituency and
General Assembly have done so, I have felt deeply frustrated because ICANN
seemed to go its own planned way regardless of all other constructive
contributions and efforts of the concerned persons. Nevertheless, in all
ICANN meetings, those terms like consensus, bottom-up, technical
coordination have been frequently quoted while ignoring consensus,
implementing top-down way of work, and in fact making public policies.

Under these circumstances, NCDNHC has contributed much by providing for
our unique positions to most major issues as a non-commercial group in
ICANN process. And NCDNHC has had the most open and inclusive discussion
on all issues among constituencies within DNSO without losing
non-commercial domain name holders/users/consumers representation role.

As Milton Muller had described and all the present adcom members have
shown, working as a NCDNHC representative seems to be very tough, but I
believe that our role representing public interest would be very precious
and ultimately get more support from users worldwide, present and in
future, and if we could mobilize our own potential resources more
effectively, we could find out an extraordinary way of working. I believe
that this is truly faithful to the internet's unique tradition.

As a NCDNHC representative, I will

1.	hold civil society and non-commercial interests and concerns in
all issues in ICANN. This is also to take public interest oriented and
consumer protection position. With regard to at large membership, any
attempt to reduce it only to domain name holders or to impose fee-based
membership system should never be allowed.
2.	try to promote more positive participation from silent majority of
this constituency and represent their invisible but apparently existing
aspirations in all issues. This would also be working for the not-yet but
potentially much more internet users largely living in most developing
countries.
3.	try to restore the truly bottom-up style process in DNSO like
setting up working groups rather than taskforces in dealing with most
major issues and even in taskforces encouraging taskforce participation
from adcom members as well as constituency members.
4.	try to watch and check the frequently happening but never
officially admitted "mission creep" of ICANN so that it could not touch
beyond its own very limited scope of mission and decline its wrong efforts
to acquire another regulation power.

Thanks and regards,

Chun Eung Hwi

Chun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet | phone:     (+82) 2- 2062-1302
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82) 019-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea       | eMail:   ehchun at peacenet.or.kr