[ncdnhc-discuss] Vandromme's statement for the 2002 election at the NCDNHC

Dany Vandromme vandrome at renater.fr
Sun Feb 10 19:43:25 CET 2002

To the members:

Candidate Statement of Vandromme for the NCDNHC election to AdCom and
NC.

This statement is basically similar to the one I used for the previous
election. Past experience as AdCom member and NC representative has just
improve my conviction and my knowledge of what ICANN and DNSO are
expecting from our constituency.

I am running for a seat as NCDNHC rep for the following reasons:

1) Research and education communities are too weakly represented in the
development of the world Internet, even if this wide community played a
key role in its development, in protocols as well as uses, and keeps
playing a leading role in the new advances (Internet2 and NGI in US,
GEANT in Europe etc.). It seems that to-day, Internet (and ICANN) is
over-surrounded by intellectual property, law, and business actors.
Standard users must keep their voice in all fora!

2) European countries have not enough representation on that scene. Even
in this fast moving economic context, it is important that
non-commercial activities (like academic, ngo, union, free speech etc.)
can be further accounted for in the evolution, and not just e-business
and legal constraints.

3) As interim NC members (replacing Kathryn Kleiman), and later as an
elected NCDNHC representative, I realized how important could be the NCC
voice in the running of the DNSO, facing to all different voices, but
trying to build the DNSO consensus. That was not always achieved by the
DNSO NC, when it has to report the WG results! I am also concerned also
with the financial and organizational problems of the DNSO and the riks
of loosing the NCDNHC voting rights in the NC.

4) Last, but not least, the constituency needs to be coordinated also
for all administrative purposes. For example, just the web management,
the secretary tasks, the financial structure of the constituency etc...
To help this, I have been managing the NCDNHC web site, as a support for
collective information of the constituency.

5) There are many things to do ASAP for bringing the non-commercial
constituency at the same level of influence as the other constituencies
of the DNSO. To achieve that, the discussions should be more organized,
in order to get to the synthesis report for the important points, rather
than letting these active discussions to be diluted and jump from one
topic to the other, before getting to any consensus to be reported as a
constituency position. In the same spirit as to make the constituency
more pro-active,

More personal information is available at http://www.vandromme.nom.fr
If you have any question about this statement, please feel free to
contact me,

Dany VANDROMME                    |  Directeur du GIP RENATER

                Reseau National de Telecommunications
         pour la Technologie, l'Enseignement et la Recherche

                                  |  ENSAM
Tel   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 30     |  151 Boulevard de l'Hopital
Fax   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 31     |  75013 Paris
E-mail: Dany.Vandromme at renater.fr |  FRANCE