[ncdnhc-discuss] Discussion with David Maher

Harold J. Feld hfeld at mediaaccess.org
Fri Dec 6 18:02:25 CET 2002

Yesterday, on behalf of Adcom, I spoke with David Maher to discuss the
relationship between PIR and the consticuency.  We both hope that PIR
will prove a positive and motivating force for the .org community to
participate in both .org policy and ICANN.

At the moment, transition issues are the entire focus of PIR.  Part of
this is formation of the initial .org advisory council.  David expressed
an interest in receiving nominations from the consticuency, and
hopefully members of the community will email suggestions.

As for financial relationship between NCC and PIR, PIR is experiencing a
significant cash flow problem.  Verisign has yet to make its payment of
the $5 Million endowment.  Nor will PIR begin to receive payment from
registrars until mid-February.  At the same time, PIR must build the
infrastructure for the registry and assume other start up expenses.

As a result, discussion of the financial relationship between NCC and
PIR is a bit premature.  It is worth pointing out that, of course, any
formal arrangements would need approval from PIR's Board and/or relevant
officers.

Unfortunately, no one from PIR able to speak to these issues will be at
the Amsterdam meeting.  Because the meeting comes at almost the same
time as the transition, and because the annual meeting is expected to be
focused on issues not relevant to PIR, they do not have the resources to
send someone.

This does not mean, of course, that discussions will wait until
mid-February.  It does mean, however, that PIR is not going to cut a
check next week to pay NCC dues.  I expect that discussion between the
NCC and PIR on the development of a productive relationship -- both
commercial and noncommercial -- will continue once we are past the
critical transition.

Harold Feld