[ncdnhc-discuss] Names Council agenda item request: discussionof wholesale price for names

J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at club-internet.fr
Fri Aug 30 14:39:12 CEST 2002

Dear Hendrik,
and why not to only to respect the 5th route, the one we will follow
anyway. To get real.

The four routes you quotes necessarily call on a central authority at some
stage. The problem is not with the route, the problem is with the
authority. The route is not that anyone decides for others through a
dominance, but that everyone reasonably decides for himself, through a
concertance. And this may lead to as many model, rates, solutions, laws as
there is in real life.

When you are in a street and you see kids misbehaving. You can try to use
your seniority's authority to order them to stop. But you are at risk that
one outwits you or that one calls on a more senior's authority to
contradict you. Or you can stop by them, start talking, make them
understand and help them concerting about how they could do better.

That is the difference between losing in directing and wining in leading.

USG is obviously uncertain about the proper way - this reflects in 1996
Acts and ... in your own evaluation. It is interesting that you quote the
telecommunications and regulations about "information" basic management
issues. This is the core of the problem. Data Relations (until then
"enhanced services") have been twisted into "information" in 1996. The move
was smart. Regulation protection did not help the USA to be the leader in
packet switch telecommunications services. The bet was that removing
regulations protection from the foreign packet switch services would help
the US industry gaining that leadership. This was an interesting and bold
move that ICANN was to lead.

That mission partly failed. Not because of Joe Sims who has been
Machiavellian about it (his "CIANN" part was a success). It is globally
failing because the Internet technology does not delivers and the main
interest is not the network development but the protection of US and
IP/copyrights interests. It is significant that when you talk of "Internet
interests", no one today understand. The Internet has not been identified
yet as a common property, it is still an area to control. Dominance not
concertance.

Instead of leading the world with novelty and innovation, this US attempt
at dominance is freezing the world into old systems and concepts, hence
into status quo. Not that much for the money some may make (less and less
in proportion) but out of lack of idea, momentum, project, vision. We
dispute details not of targets.

If we do not collectively correct that (has to be collective because we
talk about a network)  we will be more and more in the situation where
ICANN will call on contracts (they did not get) and on their
dominant  position (dwindling) to direct rather than to lead.

Two years ago, ICANN was able to afford @large Directors. Now the obviously
cannot survive them anymore.

The only positive way-out is a global concerted review of the network
architecture, of the societal demand for now and the 20 years to come.

IMHO if we do it we will soon discover that the same way we need IPv6 and
an ad-hoc IP addresses distribution, we need DNS.2 (I am surprised Jim only
supports IPv8 when he should support "IPv10" - is IPv6 not older that the
web?). We will see that we need extended DNS+ services. We will see that we
need a reasonable concertance about Internet names and URL support,
respecting the authority of the Govs, innovation through entrepreneurs and
common ways of life though ITU and nomenclatures. That we need to protect
telecommunications from 1996 Acts: they partly helped developing the
Internet, yet endangering the infrastructural aspects but nearly killing
telecommunications in the USA and in the going to kill them in developing
countries. We went a bridge to far.

This is probably easily possible through the "advanced services"
possibility. If we have no concertance between ITU, Govs, FCC, etc. we will
run into a total collapse of the data relations system and to very drastic
survival changes. IMHO we are in 1788. Up to us to decide/

There is a lack of money at the proper place and money wasted at wrong
places. Please consider that $ 6 is a lot of money for an Internet name.
But is no money for the cost of the Internet. I have rule "you do not sell
a network to those who use it, but to the one who needs it to be used". We
do not sell the Internet to the proper customers, neither the
telecommunications.

WorldCom, ICANN, etc.. are testimonies that the Computer Inquiry/1996 line
of thinking is not appropriate. IMHO the reason why is that e-relations are
just about any other relations: linking people. And you are better off in
having the linked people to agree together, considering being equal and not
tied into tools they are not pleased with. 1/3 of the French people never
used the Internet, 2/3 do not see what it could bring to them, 4/5 of them
use the Minitel.

What ICANN needs is not technical nor legal consultants, it is matrimony
consultant. Winning a divorce has never made a good wedding.

jfc