[ncdnhc-discuss] Names Council agenda item request: discussion of wholesale price for names

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Mon Aug 26 20:03:11 CEST 2002

Federal Trade Commission economists did an analysis
for the Commerce Department back in 1998. The answer
in a word, is "long-term contracts;" i.e., competition
would push registries into offering longer contracts
to those who were concerned about lock-in. I don't
have time to go into more detail. One can find the FTC
report here
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/scanned/FTC.htm

>>> "Harold J. Feld" <hfeld at mediaaccess.org> 08/26/02 01:21PM >>>
_sigh_

Any half-way competent economist can tell you the answer (or at least,
an answer).  For some domains it will be high (e.g., "Amazon.com" has
tremendous brand recognition and the cost of switching to "Amazon.store"
or "XDFE at .random" or even "somethingelse.com" would be very high.).  For
  others it will be lower.  Competent economists will work their models
for general costs and come up with a range of answers depending on who
is paying their bill.

"Lock in" is not unique to DNS.  And there are various ways to try to
solve it.  Folks in the U.S. telecom world may be familiar with "number
portability."  We are now dealing with this in U.S. mass media policy in
DTV and fights over channel placement.

Whether introduction of new TLDs creates sufficient competition to
resolve the switching cost issue is actually subject to economic
analysis.  I'd love to know if anyone has actually studied it or applied
anything more than SWAG analysis.

Harold