[ncdnhc-discuss] Names Council agenda item request: discussion of wholesale price for names

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Mon Aug 26 18:46:15 CEST 2002

At 06:39 PM 8/22/2002 +0900, Adam Peake wrote:
>If the current price is high (some ORG bids seem to indicate it is, and I
>think an analysis of operational/technical factors could help establish
>this, not rate setting per se, but attempting to understand the costs
>involved), then waiting for new TLDs and competition to take effect would
>be very nice for VeriSign, but not so nice for consumers who would
>continue to pay artificially high prices (and subsidize VeriSign) for as
>long as it takes to get new TLDs and their knock-on effect in place (being
>generous, lets say 5 years at the current pace.)

Back during the IAHC and initial ICANN debates -- 1997 timeframe --  there
were a number of discussions among operations folks, with the requisite
business and registration service background, about the reasonable
operations cost for a DNS registry service.  A pretty consistent result was
that the range of cost was calculated to be US$0.25 - US$ 2.00.  Since this
is only the core operations cost, it needs to be multiplied by a factor of
3-5, to make it pay for a complete business.

The problem with claiming that this sort of question is simply resolved by
"competition" is that it ignores post-purchase lock-in.  (And, by the way,
trying to class this as merely a matter of finding the threshold cost of
"switching" ignores how impractical it is to switch domain names, in many
situations.  What is the switching cost of getting a new telephone number
for 1-800-FLOWERS?)

d/