[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN Reform: Role of ITU

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Apr 30 14:52:17 CEST 2002

>Adam, you support a zero role by ITU.   Do you see any body other than ITU
>that could act to restrain ICANN from inappropriate extensions of its policy
>making?

No, not zero, I said no increased role, ITU is a member of the PSO.

I don't see the connection between ITU and restraining policy making.
I suspect the ITU's long wanted to expand into the Internet
governance business and doubt it would want to stop at ICANN. I don't
necessarily disagree with George's observation that ITU might be a
suitable body to take on governance and admin in the future, but one
thing I'm sure of is that it isn't ready to do that now.

I don't expect any single entity to be able to restrain ICANN, I hope
it will restrain itself, that's one of the purposes of the reform.  I
am trying to think positively...

Thanks,

Adam