[ncdnhc-discuss] One suggestion for .ORG TF participant!

Alejandro Pisanty - DGSCA y FQ, UNAM apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Thu Apr 25 06:28:41 CEST 2002

Dave,

well, your question does beg that either the two-step bidding idea be
admitted as lacking, or that it be better fleshed out.

I'm afraid that some sense of not appreciating the sheer size of an
operation like this, and the complexities of mission-critical, real-time
provision of services, sort of explains the preeminence of political
criteria for the selection of the new .org registry.

This is not an amateur operation. Not necessarily to be run by a
for-profit, existing registry, but indeed by a number of non-commercial
organizations which
have been gradually squeezed out of this constituency: universities,
academic networks, ccTLDs, etc. Now, these are not out there setting up
fronts for their operations. I hope one or more non-profits interested in
running a decent .org are tapping those organizations instead of what
could be happening, ie speculatively preparing
for the bonanza of subcontracting to a commercial venture.

Alejandro Pisanty

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Director General de Servicios de Computo Academico
UNAM, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
Tel. (+52-55) 5622-8541, 5622-8542 Fax 5550-8405
http://www.dgsca.unam.mx
*
** 10 Aniversario de Internet Society - www.inet2002.org en Washington, DC
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, www.isoc.org