[ncdnhc-discuss] ITU

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Apr 24 17:01:30 CEST 2002

At 08:39 AM 4/24/2002 -0400, James Love wrote:
>ITU has offered to work with ICANN to address the issue of the boundaries of
>ICANN policy making. Since this would limit ICANN's mission, what problems
>do you see as likely?

James,

When someone make a proposal for taking an action, they have the
responsibility to explain why it is a good idea.  It is not everybody
else's responsibility to first explain why the idea is bad.

So, James, what makes ITU involvement in ICANN mission specification a good
idea? (

Just to make this issue a little more concrete, I will note that having
social interest involvement in technical administration leads to the
problem of social agenda expansion.  To limit the scope of social agendas
in the administration of Internet technical infrastructure services, I
propose that all participants in ICANN who have social agendas must get
assistance from me, since I have quite a bit of experience establishing
technical experiences.

(And before you reject my example out of hand, please note that it matches
the structure and logic of your own suggestion exactly.)

d/