[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN lays out draft .org bidding schedule, sets tentative applic ation fee at US $35 000

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Tue Apr 23 02:46:36 CEST 2002

I think we should do a quick resolution which addresses points.

1.  Asks the board to follow its own bylaws withregard to the NC .org
report, and limit bidding to a non-profit organization.
2.   Tell the board to eliminate the fee for applying for the .org, because
it screens out too many potentially good applicants, particularly when
non-profit applicant are offering to perform a public service.  ICANN can
charge significant fees to the winner if it wants, since Verisign is giving
them $5 million, it won't be a problem.
3.   Ask the ICANN board to have a two stage application process, where the
non-proit applies without any promises to the company that actually operates
the registry, and the operator contract comes later, possibly after a
competitive bid, after you pick the non-profit and management style we like.
This should also deal with the sham non-profit issue.

Jamie