[ncdnhc-discuss] Yesterday's Meeting with DOC

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Thu Apr 18 03:49:56 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Crocker" <dhc2 at dcrocker.net>
> > > What functions are performed for numbering that correlate with the
> > > functions of the DNSO?
> >
> >  In the area of number, they decide who is permitted to obtain blocks of
> >numbers.
> >
> >  In the area of DNSO, they decide who is permitted to obtain space in
the
> >root for TLDs.
>
> could have sword that decision was made by the board, not the dnso, which
> instead is consultative to the decision.
>
> when did that change?

     Well, of course, for DNSO, nothing is really decentralized.   This is
the most political part of ICANN.   And this is the part that should  be
decentralized.  If the ASO can do this for numbering space, we can also do
this for name space.    The DNSO is the weak sister in the ICANN SO
structure.   And the ICANN board is ignoring the DNSO even when it makes
decisions, such as in the .org report.  My point is that the DNSO should be
more like the ASO.   This is an area where ICANN can be "reformed."  It can
learn to allow decisions to be made locally, when there is no compelling
reason for the central planning model.    Central planning has always had an
appeal, but also some obvious shortcomings.    The Internet's success is
hardly a product of top down central planning.

 Jamie