[ncdnhc-discuss] Decentalization proposal for ICANN Evolution and Reform

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Tue Apr 9 04:31:35 CEST 2002

[non-list cc's removed; either they read lists and don't need duplicates,
or they are not team players and are part of the problem]

Exactly.  With all those secret Board meetings, All the fixed resolutions
that turn up a the last minute, all the manipulation, there is now no
trust.

There was a lot of trust three years ago.  Despite its dodgy secretive
origins it had a star-studded cast, and I certainly told all my friends to
give ICANN a chance.  OK, I got suspicious after a year, and radicalized
at the Board Squatter moment (year two), maybe I was early by some
standards....but it's all played out now.

It is evident that all that matters in ICANN is votes.  The DNSO changes
the rules to re-elect its chair to keep business control.  The Board
refuses to have a a majority the dominant faction cannot control, thus no
9 directly elected (or at all elected) outsiders from the club.  A faction
has control, and it refuses to consider any rule set that has any chance
of displacing that faction. Until and unless they do, no sale.