[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN Reform: Role of ITU

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Apr 30 13:36:08 CEST 2002

Following is taken from George Sadowsky's comments on ICANN reform --
I strongly support George's comment regarding the ITU and ICANN and
hope the constituency will agree.

<http://forum.icann.org/reform-comments/general/msg00064.html> (quote
under point 3.)

   Those who look to the ITU as a panacea for ICANN's problems are
   misguided. The ITU is a very important organization that has
   contributed and continues to contribute substantially to the
   evolution of international communication. It is also an
   international bureaucracy, and its policies are influenced by the
   member countries on their Board of Directors. Positions are often
   influenced by the dominant telephone carrier in those countries,
   which generally has little interest in seeing the Internet prosper.
   It may be that the ITU is the ultimate home for Internet governance
   and administration, but this can only occur after the ITU (or any
   other potential home organization) demonstrates a thorough
   understanding of the Internet as a technology and as a culture, and
   there is solid evidence of a determination to maximize the power and
   reach of this technology. This will not happen overnight.

(end quote)

I do not support any role increased role for the ITU in ICANN and
hope our names council representatives will begin to reflect this
view in future names council discussions.

Thanks,

Adam Peake
GLOCOM  Tokyo