[ncdnhc-discuss] Names council candidates

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Mon Sep 10 15:36:26 CEST 2001

I think you are correct in this observation.  And this is one of the great
failings of ICANN: the people who created it sought over and over again to
keep the end-user at arms length (which would be fine for *technical*
coordination) while engaging in *social* coordination (e.g. dispute
policies, detailed contracts for registries).  It thus becomes part of
some participants' dogma (but by no means all) to even deny that this
tension exists.

Organizing a social policy body as if it were a technical standards body
not sensible or stable. It has created serious instability in the Internet
(e.g. growth of would-be alternatives to an inclusive root, politicization
of technical bodies such as IAB).  I invite you to join us at
http://www.icannwatch.org where we debate and lament these trends.

(My solution, by the way, is to stop making the social policy, but
organizations tend over time to grow their budgets and their ambitions.)

I'm afraid that's all for today; off to work.