[ncdnhc-discuss] modified res on sec&stab

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Sun Oct 28 13:14:38 CET 2001

On 22:02 27/10/01, Milton Mueller said:
>The Internet's robust design, based among other factors in its
>distributed, decentralized nature, currently is based on the central
>coordination
>of a few resources, including domain names,
>Internet addresses, and protocol parameters.

I am sorry but this contradicts. Distribution and decentralization cannot
be made robust by any centralization. So you may say that the robust design
comes from the limitation of the number of centralized ressources. Then
distribution and decentralization made robust by a limited number of
centralized ressources cannot be made more robust by any coordination,
which will obviously be all the more complex and weaker than the system is
more distributed, more decentralized and larger. You can only say that it
is made robust by independent mechanisms preventing collisions about the
election of the limited number of ressources which had to be kept centralized.

This mechanism is the registration - on a first come first serve basis in
an unique directory - of the registrants fullfiling an adequate
prerequisite according to an equal to all definition and subject to an
equal to all verification of their compliance with such a prerequisite, so
there cannot be any delay, uncertainity or dispute. Conflicts that may
arise are handled between the concerned parties - with the possible
invovement of the concerned Internet Community - who document the register
with the outcome.

The registered resources according to that registration service are TLD
names, protocol numbers and IP address blocks.

One may dispute on this as long as we want. This is the only way it can
work because this is the nature of any network of any kind. If the
registration is not adequate registration is replaced by public
declaration, what we observe with NSI (iDN and NS), New.net, Name Slinger,
XTNS, RT/BP, inclusive roots, etc...

Among countries that declaration was often war declaration until the UN
helped a little bit with registrations towards resolutions.

Jefsey Morfin