[ncdnhc-discuss] Resolution on GAC

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Sat Oct 27 13:33:06 CEST 2001

Dear Michael,
Actually these issues have been covered decades ago by EDI standard. We all
know that some people want to obtain what everyone want to refuse them.
They play on the ignorance of the ICANN people, their desinformed reading
of the WIP documents and on their constant attempts at redefining the
world, the treaties, the justice, the meaning of the words, etc... so they
may build their own overcomplex and unstable "solutions". This is quite
boring and mentally tiring.

This will lead to either a total disinterest in the ICANN or to its quick
replacement (the international affairs clock seems slow but decisions and
moves are quite blunt).  All this boils down to a stubborn denial of the
nature of the domain name as being what it is (a name for an internet
ressource set), hence of the nature of the naming system, hence of the
supposed mandatory management of the DNS, hence of the control of the
world, hence of the network stability conceived as the protection of a few
trade marks.

What is ironical is that while they try to protect a few TMs on a few TLDs
they legally protect their take over in billions of TLDs. Also, as a small
TM holder I an NOT happy with the whole system which does NOT protect me -
no more than CocaCola, Ford, CNN or Philips or than Croix-Rouge, UN, or
Presbyterian Church or Kent's privildeged yachtclub, etc.

Don't you think that the only appropriate responses to the GAC are:

1. The TMD Manager of .info is Affilias. Please go and talk to them. If
Affilias needs a revision of their contract with the ICANN, ask them to
contact the Staff to work out a draft agreement to be reviewed by the DNSO.
In any case this will be a violation of the ICANN mandate and bylaws and
Internet rules: ICANN must be equal to all and TLD registration should only
be subject to a standard rule (cf. RFC 920). Let not add a bypass to it.

2. should we agree with afghanistan.info to be acknowledged by everyone
through the world as a public service for the Afghani government, the world
will understand taleb.info as a public service of equivalent level and
audience for Talebans. The same for tibet.info: ask China. The same for
corsica.info: ask France, the same for ira.info: ask Ireland and UK... the
same for zapata.info: ask Alejandro. Frankly this is not the ICANN role.
The ICANN role is only to accept a UN decision to create a ".uno"
government chartered TLD, if it plans for enough registrants, has at least
two names servers, a reasonable technical staff and does not want to grudge
anyone.

The rest is wasted time, money and efforts toward instability, ie. roughly
what terrorism is trying to achieve. Frankly it seems that we do not need them.
Jefsey