[ncdnhc-discuss] Resolution on GAC

Alejandro Pisanty - CUAED y FQ, UNAM apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Sat Oct 27 05:22:36 CEST 2001

Michael,

outside the US there is discomfort, if not consensus, with the use of
geographical names in domain names.

The Board resolution which I opposed does have an aspect to which you seem
to turn a blind eye: it establishes a *temporary* freeze on things, in
order to (re-)open the debate. This may seem useless for some, of course.

But tell me in all honesty if you really refuse to provide specific,
focussed, clearly explained arguments to the GAC and to those of its
members that, even after WIPO-2, still are concerned about the use of
geographic names over which they feel responsible to their communities.
This could be one of those occasions in which breast-thumping may be
useful, attacking the ICANN to which we belong may relieve some stress,
and talking rationally may actually achieve some effect. Not the least of
which would be regaining or increasing some legitimacy.

Alejandro Pisanty
     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
UNAM  -  Educacion Abierta y a Distancia
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
Tel. (+52-5) 622-8713, 622-8633 Fax 550-8405

http://www.cuaed.unam.mx
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, www.isocmex.org.mx, www.isoc.org
=====>>> Participa en ICANN, www.icann.org
---->> Internet y Sociedad? www.istf.org