[ncdnhc-discuss] Who will run .us?

Chun Eung Hwi ehchun at peacenet.or.kr
Wed Oct 24 19:43:33 CEST 2001

Dear Rob and others,

First, I truly appreciate for all answers and comments regarding my
question. Throughout those replies, I could know and understand more
correctly what is happening regarding .us although still many questions
remain. My thinking is as follows;

1. AFAIK, at the moment, the delegee of .us is definitely NSI if we refer
to the cctld whois information of IANA. At least, cctld constituency
members think so. (please refer to
http://www.wwtld.org/member_list/countrycodesort0917.php) If US Gov. argue
that it is the delegee, it could bring in very serious confusion and
strong challenges from other ccTLD managers.

2. Harold Feld's thinking that there is no more IANA is quite far from the
fact. Frankly speaking, for me, IANA looks like a magic hand of something
invisible. As Michael Froomkin called it properly as mini-ICANN in his
very impressive article (http://www.icannwatch.org/essays/dotau.htm), it
abruptly appears up and makes some policy without any consultation with
ICANN. And also its independent entity is confirmed by its contract with
US Gov. (refer to http://www.icann.org/general/iana-contract-21mar01.htm,
even here, it was clarified that its policy development procedure should
abide by MoU of ICANN with DoC. Therefore, in the case of redelegation,
any ccTLD should abide by RFC 1591 and ICP-1)  Paradoxically and as such,
now, in the redelegation case of .us, I think, we could look forward to
such magic power of IANA.

3.  Based on this speculation, I think, even when the bidder public
interest group had not made any MoU with was chosen for redelegation, that
group can argue the legitimate documented procedure for redelegation
including IANA's communication with other parties concerned or affected by
the redelegation, IANA report, public comment on that report and ICANN
board's authorization.

4. One comment for the contract of ccTLD! I can understand that the
trilateral contract model could be appropriate in the case of .us because
since its initial stage, the role of US Gov. has been clearly remarkable.
Whereas, in most other countries, the role of governments for each ccTLD
has been almost nothing or if any, very weak. That's why many ccTLDs feel
uneasy for the trilateral arrangement proposal. And moreover as Michael
Froomkin pointed out it correctly, the involvement of government in ccTLD
comes up from GAC principles that has never been adopted as a policy in
ICANN.

Due to these reasons, I think, the issue of .us is not simply an American
issue but its redelegation process has very significant implication even
to other ccTLDs.

Regards,

Chun Eung Hwi
Chun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet | phone:     (+82) 2- 583-3033
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82) 019-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea       | eMail:   ehchun at peacenet.or.kr