[ncdnhc-discuss] Resolution on ORG Divestiture

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Mon Oct 22 15:43:47 CEST 2001

Very good questionnaire! But yes/not might be a problem. I will try to
respond to help you tuning it.

On 19:41 21/10/01, Vany Martinez said:
>Dear fellows:
>
>It seems the opinions are divided in relation with
>.ORG divesture issue.
>
>I propose to elaborate several "YES-NO" questions and
>vote on every one of them.
>
>Examples of the questions could be:
>
>1.  Should .ORG be restricted to Non-Commercial
>registrants?

No. a TLD is a public domain (GAC, jurisprudence). It is a flag. Anyone
wanting to wear that flag for any reason is entitled to do it.

>2.  Should part of .ORG earnings/incomes be directed
>to fund NCDNHC activities?

No. But it can help the NCDNHC or its sucessor.

>3.  Should part of .ORG earnings/incomes be directed
>to help to fight the digital divide?

Yes. Mainly through free domain names.

>4.  Should .ORG be run a by a Non-Profit and/or
>associatoins of Non-Profits organizations?

Non-Profit. Best is association of Registrants, or of Registrants associations.

>5.  Should .ORG be run by a new brand membership
>non-commercial organizatin that can group all
>non-commercial organizations interested in belong to
>such a group?

Yes. Best is association of Registrants or of Registrants associations.

>6.  Should the new REgistry of .ORG run itself
>technically the operations of .ORG?

Eventually yes.

>7.  Should the new Registry of .ORG  subcontract an
>organization to perfom technical operations of .ORG?

Initially advisable to NSI.

>8.  If subcontratation for technical operation of .ORG
>occurs, such an organization should be Commercial or
>Non-Commercial?

No issue here. Competence required. Operations have a cost: the point is to
keep them good at the lowest rate.

Suggested additional question:

Do you support that the NCDNHC takes the lead in forming the Non-Profit
operator bootstrap and help them develop the project with the ICANN?

>I am sure there are many many questions...The purpose
>of this proposal is to facilitate the input that the
>NCDNHC can give to the community regarding .ORG
>divesture.
>
>What all of you think?

Very good move. Thank you.

Jefsey