[ncdnhc-discuss] Re: [ncdnhc-announce] Constituency Meeting in the morning.

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Tue Oct 16 19:09:02 CEST 2001

Dear Alejandro,
What ever will be reported by the ALSC reality will eventually take over.
There is no mystery: ICANN has disappointed the @large voters. So we will
not have millions of people rushing to the next @large election. Without
efforts by governments and large corporations we would probably not have
more that a few thousands.

So the real issue is capture and fraud. The second issue are the endless
disputes about the nature, representativity and legitimacy of the @large.
The third issue is the suspicion about the @large elected Directors.

Why not once for all to get real?

1. @large are the people individually motivated by the Internet governance.
This is you, me, Dave, YJ Park etc.... We know them, we do not need to
spend much money for them to vote. Anyone who wants to join can do it for
free and participate all the year long. All these people have some
competence, provide mutual education and are useful to the common effort.
They already vote indirectly to the Board via the SOs (there should be a GA
in each SO). So they are not that dangerous. They even have a name "the
ICANN Community" (Stuart Lynn tries to use it for his coff breaks with
Louis and Joe).

2. The interest is that this is a permanent process and participation to
the real life of the ICANN.  Why to reinvent the wheel and create absurd
competition between ourselves and ourselves?

3. The entire issue only boils down to a very usual constructional stuff:
half of the Directors elected indirectly by Members colleges, half elected
directly by the general Member assembly.One delegated by right. No need to
waste time, money and resources on such a trivia.

We want the ICANN to keep cheap, simple and to achieve a few things. May be
becoming professional. From time to time, it would be mentally refreshing
if the ICANN tried not to fail and was doing the things as everyone would
expect it to do, ... and suceeded.  Don't you think?

Jefsey