[ncdnhc-discuss] Esther Dyson on the Agenda Change

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Tue Oct 16 16:39:32 CEST 2001

The examples below I consider to be real areas
where domain name policy and ICANN intersect with
so-called "digital divide" issues:

* internationalization of domain names,
* global distribution of root servers

However, I despise the term "digital divide" I would
prefer to not use it. It is cheap political rhetoric
that has no precise meaning. What we are really
talking about are a number of different things:

* geopolitical distribution of domain name resources
* disparities in wealth, which produce uneven diffusion
patterns for new technologies
* issues of fair participation

>>> Jefsey Morfin <jefsey at wanadoo.fr> 10/15/01 09:36PM >>>
- until recently many Chinese and Koreans were using numeric domain names after the number of their zone due to the lack of international domain names. The impact of the iDN on reducing the digtal and the lingual divide
may be quite important.
- the current ICANN DN policy and root server system are financial,
security, reliability problems which have a cost for the users. There are
cheaper, more secure and more stable solutions.

Actually the ICANN in its current rigid and restrictive US centric approach
of the IANA functions, does not foster competition and freezes innovation.
This has certainly a real cost on the economy and on the peace of the world.

Jefsey