[ncdnhc-discuss] Resolution on ORG Divestiture

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Sun Oct 14 19:54:58 CEST 2001

The proposed resolution seems mostly careful, clear, and accurate.

I support it, with one suggested change and one question:

At 10:39 AM 10/14/2001, Milton Mueller wrote:
>d) Advance restrictions on who can register raise the
>costs of domain name registrations; also, dispute
>initiation procedures designed to impose restrictions
>after registration also raise the costs and risks of
>registering a domain; and

Suggestion:

Everything after the first semi-colon is not relevant to the topic of this
resolution.  In fact, the "Be It Resolved" text does not reflect any aspect
of the "also" clause, above.

Hence I suggest it be removed.  It involves a larger, separate issue and is
a distraction from the current topic.

>Be it Resolved:
>1. That the Noncommercial Domain Name Holders
>Constituency fully supports the concept of making .org
>into a "sponsored, unrestricted domain" as proposed by
>the Names Council Task Force on .ORG Divestiture.

Question:

How is "sponsored, unrestricted" different from any current gTLD?

It appears that the act of sponsoring, when there are no restrictions, only
places added overhead into the mixture, but with no benefit.

d/