[ncdnhc-discuss] Military Education Sites

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Oct 14 18:07:24 CEST 2001

Joshua:
EDU policy has proven to be confusing to a
number of us. The current situation is that
Verisign still runs the registry (as far as
I know) under the supervision of the US Dept
of Commerce. But it is supposed to be given
to Educause some time (soon?) in the future.

Verisign is required to do .edu registrations
for free which means that it has no incentive
to encourage organizations to make more use of
.edu names. So if you ask Verisign for a .edu
registration the answer will probably be "no."

If you ask the Dept of Commerce, I don't know
what the answer would be, but the person you
need to ask is Karen Rose, in the National
Telecommunication And Information Administration.

You might also ask Educause what their policy
would be.

I would suggest that you direct this question
to three people

>>> "Joshua Carroll, Mr., PEC-ARNG"
There has been talk of trying to
get a ".EDU" domain from which we would
host our web-based courses.
What is the possibility of getting a "waiver"
for the rules of a ".EDU"
domain for a US military training center?

Thanks,

Joshua