[ncdnhc-discuss] Re: [ga] Comments from JPNIC and JPRS

Marc Schneiders marc at schneiders.org
Wed Oct 10 15:26:16 CEST 2001

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, at 23:15 [=GMT-0700], Dave Crocker wrote:

> It really is painful to be forced to acknowledge actual facts.

Not at all, when facts are presented. A discussion consisting of
"yes" and "no" is indeed painful.

> Nonetheless
> I comment the effort to all of us:

I join you in this.

> At 08:50 PM 10/9/2001, Marc Schneiders wrote:
> >On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, at 19:28 [=GMT-0700], Dave Crocker wrote:
> >
> > > The fact that an independent registry started "before ICANN" is not an
> > > indication of good intention.
> >
> >Nor is it an indication of bad intent, is it?
>
> Not surprisingly, you read my note very selectively.  Your homework
> assignment is to re-read it more carefully and more completely.

Ad hominem.

> >In any case, it does seem a matter of 'decency' to accomodate those that
> >existed before you.
>
> Independent work deserves to be treated as independent.

False premises.

> Folks who create DNS top-level domains away from IANA/ICANN root
> administrative processes deserve to be literally ignored by those processes.

Some of these domains existed before ICANN started, remember? Of
course these pre-ICANN processes 'lost' because of the ICANN
coup. Still, it would be decent to accomodate them, as I said
before. In the early Middle Ages they killed all opponents, even
kin. We are slightly more civilised, aren't we?

> > They have no relevance to the IANA/ICANN root at all.  None. >

Thanks for the elaborate explanation as to why.

> >Vint Cerf knew that, which is why we have now .info and not .web under
> >Afilias.
>
> Inventing convenient interpretations of someone's behavior is, well,
> convenient, and usually incorrect.  Invention is all that you have done.

I will look again at this great real player video. I suggest you do
to, and tell me what other interpretation is possible/reasonable, as
to why .web was not selected for Afilias.

> Vint did not do what you have stated, nor did his position stem from the
> reason you assert.

Does this mean he has explained his ways to you?

> > > Such activities were just as inappropriate then, as they are now.
> >
> >Why? Some of these activities were actively encouraged by IANA.
>
> To put it politely, you are wrong.  Very wrong.  In fact, completely wrong.

Postel ideas of Nov. '95. IAHC.

> > > The DNS root has always been subject to central administration.
> >
> >Losely.
>
> It is always frustrating to have people make such an assertion about IANA,
> given how entirely incorrect they are.
>
> Do not mistake friendly, personal processes, with processes that are "loose".
>
> In other words, Marc, as with all of the other assertions in your note, you
> are entirely wrong.

Right.

> > > ICANN is > merely the most recent group providing oversight.
> >
> >You mean, we can change this? Give it to others?
>
> Sure.  In fact I encourage you to devote all your efforts to such an activity.

I am not paid for this.

> > > Those attempting to gain market share, independent of the IANA/ICANN root,
> > > have always been creating a problem, especially for anyone who uses them.
> >
> >If you are referring to new.net, you may have a point, if for slightly
> >different reasons than the one you seem to hint at. Could it be
> >possible that others than new.net, both in the past as well as today,
> >are not so much "attempting to gain market share" as providing a
> >service to the public?
>
> People who seek to break a working system, through a path that cannot
> *ever* be reconciled, are not providing "a service to the public".
>
> They are providing a service to themselves, feeding their egos or their
> pocket books or the like, but they are doing nothing that benefits the rest
> of the world.

I am sure it is impossible for you to see the true motives of others
who do not share your believe in the one and only true root which is
ICANN.

marc at pan.bijt.net