[ncdnhc-discuss] Re: [ga] Comments from JPNIC and JPRS

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Wed Oct 10 09:27:03 CEST 2001

On 04:28 10/10/01, Dave Crocker said:
>The fact that an independent registry started "before ICANN" is not an
>indication of good intention.  Such activities were just as inappropriate
>then, as they are now.

True. I suppose you are talking about NSI? The MoU is more diplomatic and
calls for competition to correct that. Unfortunately Mike Roberts, not able
to reduce the problem made it the rule. This was Plan B. Very inappropriate.

>The DNS root has always been subject to central administration.  ICANN is
>merely the most recent group providing oversight.

Ture. I managed it form 1978 to 1986 (Vida Stafford headed the actual
registries). I proposed Jon Postel team to use the standard semantic
(registry by mnemonic or ISO 3166, user chosen name, user chosen sub-name,
unlimited size, optional use of the ".") and to get a bouquet of mnemonics
(TLD) to accomodate their various user groups (this was pure
routine).  They refused because their users could have been confused and
asked to use the IP addresses as names.

Funny names: I fully understand they eventually chose to become standard
compliant with a small mnemonic bouqet to avoid collisions.

The "DNS" is a limited alternative root. Its worshipers keep being afraid
to extend it to the whole scheme. Don't be afraid: the naming plan is
yours! We switched public services to X.121.

Now, the central administration of this alternative root documented its
rules: RFC 920.

>Those attempting to gain market share, independent of the IANA/ICANN root,
>have always been creating a problem, especially for anyone who uses them.

"Market Share"? This is pure Mike Roberts". How much for the "Jefsey
Crocker" name?

The Internet approach - again RFC 920 - is that when a group of domain
owners may reasonably grow larger than 500 they are entitled to create a
new TLD. They may form a non-profit association and run that TLD, seeking
adhesion to the NCDNHC.

Will you deny them Membeship?
Or will you accept them without voting rights?

Jefsey