[ncdnhc-discuss] Re: [ga] Comments from JPNIC and JPRS

Marc Schneiders marc at schneiders.org
Wed Oct 10 05:50:01 CEST 2001

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, at 19:28 [=GMT-0700], Dave Crocker wrote:

> At 06:20 PM 10/8/2001, David Corish wrote:
> >Thanks.   For a moment, I thought I'd missed something.  Also, it may be
> >disingenuous to lump all registries (outside of USG root) together as
> >opportunists trying to claim a new TLD before ICANN has the opportunity to
> >introduce said TLD into the USG root.  For instance, offhand I can think of
> >at least one registry that started 1995ish, way before ICANN.
>
> The fact that an independent registry started "before ICANN" is not an
> indication of good intention.

Nor is it an indication of bad intent, is it? In any case, it does
seem a matter of 'decency' to accomodate those that existed before
you. Vint Cerf knew that, which is why we have now .info and not .web
under Afilias.

> Such activities were just as inappropriate
> then, as they are now.

Why? Some of these activities were actively encouraged by IANA.

> The DNS root has always been subject to central administration.

Losely.

> ICANN is
> merely the most recent group providing oversight.

You mean, we can change this? Give it to others?

> Those attempting to gain market share, independent of the IANA/ICANN root,
> have always been creating a problem, especially for anyone who uses them.

If you are referring to new.net, you may have a point, if for slightly
different reasons than the one you seem to hint at. Could it be
possible that others than new.net, both in the past as well as today,
are not so much "attempting to gain market share" as providing a
service to the public? Not everyone is primarily trying to make only
money on the DNS. Some just want it to be 'free', not the cartel it
has been for some time.

--
Marc at Schneiders.ORG

http://marc.schneiders.org/