[ncdnhc-discuss] Re: [ga] Comments from JPNIC and JPRS

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Tue Oct 9 01:39:34 CEST 2001

As an abstract matter Alejandro's advice on prioritizing is very sound.

In a well-run ICANN it would be even sounder.

But this is an ICANN in which an ICP-3 can spring full-blown from the brow
of the staff without warning, or an official comment period. (Cf.
http://www.icannwatch.org/article.php?sid=241).  Or a country-code
redelegation policy is changed without notice, and redelegations taken
without notice or comment.  (Cf.
http://www.icannwatch.org/article.php?sid=336.) We are never safe here
from surprises.  Under the circumstances, it is very hard to take this
good advice, as it means we are perpetually left out of the important
decisions.  I really don't know what to do about this - we lose if we
waste time on irrelevancies, and we lose if we follow the rules.