[ncdnhc-discuss] Re: [ga] Comments from JPNIC and JPRS

Alejandro Pisanty - CUAED y FQ, UNAM apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Mon Oct 8 21:53:11 CEST 2001

Milton,

I accept part of it. I do not think that the gTLD process has been in any
way the only factor that has caused irritation and delays in the
introduction of new gTLDs. Further, a large part of the time taken by the
process was required by the ample consultative process.

It is at least not a neat conduct to complain for lack of consultation, on
one hand, and for the time required for it. We should therefore be quite
sparse in our use of the word "delay" in this context.

I do not share the statement that the gTLD process was one of the main
reasons for alternative roots processes. There does not seem to be a lot
of evidence to substantiate this claim, in that many of the altroots were
already up by the time ICANN started to exist. Some increase in the
activity close to the gTLD decision moment has IMO a spurious component
which could well look like an attempt to gain some economic advantage
(I've heard US people call this "greenmail" but you know I may be weak on
slang).

As for accepting criticism, that's our job. Not always a pleasure but
surely a way to serve the community better.

Alejandro Pisanty

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
UNAM  -  Educacion Abierta y a Distancia
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
Tel. (+52-5) 622-8713, 622-8633 Fax 550-8405

http://www.cuaed.unam.mx
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, www.isocmex.org.mx, www.isoc.org
=====>>> Participa en ICANN, www.icann.org
---->> Internet y Sociedad? www.istf.org