[ncdnhc-discuss] TLDs not created by ICANN: the purposes of raising concerns

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Sun Oct 7 22:49:44 CEST 2001

On 04:51 07/10/01, Nilda Vany Martinez Grajales said:
>Also to remind them that, at the end, the damage is done to the
>Registrant who is trusting that such TLDs are legimit TLDs as .COM,
>.ORG, .NET, .BIZ, .INFO, etc...

Dear Vany,
could you indicate the source of the ICANN legitimacy? The
eldest document I know on the matter is RFC 920 which
describes the way the Internet will eventually comply with the
general naming semantic they had refused several years ealier
as "too complex to their users". It fully legitimates moTLDs.

The naming plan belongs to the Global Internet Community.
Your effort to make it hijacked by an arrogant USG root may
be disastrous for the stability of the Internet. The last think we
want is Al Queida to sponsor their own root, something far
easier than to pilot a Boeing.

The only serious proposition on the matter is Jun Murai's one,
dated Sept 10th. May I underline that Jun Murai is the ICANN
Director in charge of the root serve system and JPNIC Chair.
Basically his proposition is to stick to the RFC 920 and to find
a way to correct the arrogance of the ICANN in its misrelations
with inclusive roots and TLDs.

My response to him is to use the RT/BP's TLD criteria to fight
the TLD squatting, stabilize the net, reduce the risks created
by NSI size, create competition for quality rather than for cheap
lowgrade DNs and to review the entire DN concepts towards a
serious proposition complying with legal and commercial rules
and the registrant protected whatever may happen.

I suppose that after the Sep 11th, Jun's proposition is to be
reviewed as the ccTLDs are investigating judiciously a back-up
approach I call for a long (cf. my Montevideo speech). At the
end of the day, the whole scheme will probably resolve into
the disparition of the root server system as the Internet risky
single point of failure and into its universal local copying by
the resolvers.

Jefsey