[ncdnhc-discuss] TLDs not created by ICANN: the purposes of raising concerns

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Sun Oct 7 18:43:39 CEST 2001

At 03:27 AM 10/7/2001, Marc Schneiders wrote:
>This sounds ridiculous to me. ICANN operates a market of
>scarcity. Competition was artificially introduced into this at a new
>level, that of the registrar. In alt TLDs there is natural competition
>on the registry level. If you don't like .LOW (free, by the way), you
>can go for .SHOP.

Marc, if you are going to make assumptions about what is technically
feasible, please acquaint yourself with the technical constraints. For example:

         <http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-unique-assign-01.txt>

To the extent that you disagree with the technical statements in that
draft, explanations of its errors would be quite helpful.

> > Also to remind them that, at the end, the damage is done to the
> > Registrant who is trusting that such TLDs are legimit TLDs as .COM,
> > .ORG, .NET, .BIZ, .INFO, etc...
>
>Why do you not worry about the legitimicy of ICANN? Work on that, and
>people will be happy to participate in the ICANN process.

An extensive history offers facts that disagree with both of your assertions.

> > Any attempt to expand the Domain Names Space without the ICANN
> > Coordination/Requirements is an attempt to disrupt the stability of the
> > Domain Name Space
>
>Repeating this often does not make it true.

That is correct.  It is true because it is true.  It is a technical reality.

d/