[ncdnhc-discuss] Proposed Names Council resolution on GAC/country names

Chun Eung Hwi ehchun at peacenet.or.kr
Fri Oct 5 02:49:40 CEST 2001

Dear Vany,

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Nilda Vany Martinez Grajales wrote:

> Then, I want to propose an amendment that would replace points 4 and 5
> of Philips proposal, but first I want to count with the input of the
> NCDNHC members:
>
> "4.  The DNSO makes a call to ICANN Board and the GA to all work
> together in order to achieve a policy and/or position regarding
> country and geographical names that benefits both countries and domain
> name registrants that would have legimit uses of a domain name that
> coincides with such country and/or geographical names

This draft document is itself a policy advices of DNSO including GA to the
Board. What do you want to get more? And as Philip Sheppard quoted to show
it relevantly from WIPO report, this issue has many problems and could
have never got any consensus in intellectual property area even among
governments. Then, why ICANN should do that? Rather, I think we should
point out what problems are there in the idea of reserved terms applied to
name space.

> 5.  once achieved such policy and/or position, send it to WIPO as the
> Results of such work in behalf of ICANN/DNSO/GAC for consideration of
> WIPO for future WIPO works regarding this issue."

"ICANN should not be a global policy making body on global trademark
rights."(Non-Commercial Constituency Resolution on Trademarks, Yokohama -
July 13, 2000) or any other intellectual property rights.

Regards,

Chun Eung Hwi
Chun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet | phone:     (+82) 2- 583-3033
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82) 019-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea       | eMail:   ehchun at peacenet.or.kr