[ncdnhc-discuss] Proposed Names Council resolution on GAC/country names

Chun Eung Hwi ehchun at peacenet.or.kr
Thu Oct 4 22:53:32 CEST 2001

Dear Milton Mueller and others,

The resolution draft as a whole seems to be good.

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Milton Mueller wrote:

> This resolution was proposed by the Chair of the Names Council.
> I support most of it, except for point 4 and the last paragraph.
> Instead of asking WIPO to resolve the problem, I would
> prefer to issue a general statement that name reservations
> and exclusions are not the proper method to protect rights in
> names, and call for countries to rely on the own ccTLDs
> to establish domains structured the way they want.

I agree. It is unnecessary to call on WIPO here. In this respect, point 4
and the last paragraph should be completely deleted and if possible,
replace it with your previous explicit statement - "mechanical
reservations of names are a dangerous policy that is restrictive of free
expression and creates an undesirable linkage between technical
architecture and policy". It is much better than the present expression.
And referring to ccTLD policies in this context sounds not so good.

Regards,

Chun Eung Hwi
Chun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet | phone:     (+82) 2- 583-3033
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82) 019-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea       | eMail:   ehchun at peacenet.or.kr