[ncdnhc-discuss] NC Whois Task Report

YJ Park yjpark at myepark.com
Mon Oct 15 09:41:02 CEST 2001

Progress Report for NC Whois Task Force.

                                                     version 0.1.  Oct. 15
                                                                          YJ
Park

I. Historical Background for Whois Committee

2000. Fourth Q: ICANN Whois Committee

It was turned out that there had been a decision made during
Yokohama meeting to convene Whois Committee of ICANN
which didn't include NCDNHC representative and then got strong
criticism that the process has not been transparent at all.(Appendix 4)

II. ICANN Whois Committee ---> DNSO Whois Committee
----

2001. First Q: DNSO NC Whois Committee Formation

NC Whois Committee had to wait for ICANN Whois Committee's
Report and no progress.(Appendix 3)

III. Whois Survey
-----------------------

2001. Second Q: DNSO NC Task Force to start Whois Survey

Until NC Whois Survey was conducted from June(Appendix 2),
NC Whois TF exchanged few messages. However, Whois survey
results could not be available for NC TF members. It was understood
that the survey results have been managed by ICANN staff.

IV. After Whois Survey
-------------------------------

2001. Third Q: Montevideo f2f Meeting

During f2f meeting, members discussed how to evaluate 3000
or so responses. However, it was noted that without data on the
table, it would be not practical to decide how to do that. Therefore,
the sampling was suggested and still it is not available yet.

V. The current status
-----------------------------

2001. 4Q: October teleconference

Before October teleconference, TF members shared the concerns
how we can get data from ICANN(Appendix 1) During the meeting,
Louis explained that the data can be available sometime this month.

VI. Actions to consider for members.

Even though that proposal that this survey should be conducted by
University Research organization with financial supports were not
positively responded among the members of TF, I think such idea
is still valuable to consider since it would be very unrealistic for TF
members to read them and come up with a report.

VII. Members of Whois NC Task Force

Paul Kane, Chair, Registrar,
Danny Younger, GA
Marilyn Cade, Business