[ncdnhc-discuss] Fw: [council] GAC and country name reservations

Dany Vandromme vandrome at renater.fr
Tue Oct 2 08:54:11 CEST 2001

YJ Park wrote:

> Dear members,
>
> Philip, NC chair, asked views from each constituency regarding
> country name reservations. Please, unfold your views.
>
> Taking this opportunity, I want to share my concern in "country
> names in other IDN character sets" reservation practice without
> proper consultation process.
>
> DNSO/ICANN has been providing its views regarding English and
> Latin based domain names which this community has believed to
> have expertise on this.
>
> However, as many of us have admitted DNSO/ICANN at this current
> stage cannot be recognized to provide such an expertise yet. In light
> of this, WIPO cannot be recognized as such to provide expertise in
> Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Arabic, Tamil, Hindi, Urdu, Cyrillic, etc
> either.

-
YJ
Could you develop your concerns about the reasons for WIPO, not to be a
world based organisation. Are you afraid that WIPO is working only for a
latin-type framework, without accounting for the various alphabet you
are mentionning?
-
> There should be more efforts to be made to bridge existing gaps
> between the ASCII domain name stakeholders and Non-latin domain
> name stakeholders.
>
> Regards,
> YJ

Dany VANDROMME                    |  Directeur du GIP RENATER

                Reseau National de Telecommunications
         pour la Technologie, l'Enseignement et la Recherche

                                  |  ENSAM
Tel   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 30     |  151 Boulevard de l'Hopital
Fax   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 31     |  75013 Paris
E-mail: Dany.Vandromme at renater.fr |  FRANCE