Violation of ICANN Bylaws (was Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] FYI)

KathrynKL at aol.com KathrynKL at aol.com
Wed Nov 28 00:33:46 CET 2001

Bill:
To the extent that one individual holds a vote in another constituency, we
have in the past and not infrequently, asked them to find another person to
vote in our NCC.  With that precedent, it would be unfair to those who came
before *not to ask Kent Crispin to do the same.*

What you are asking, Bill, is whether Marilyn Cade, chief lobbyist for AT&T
(a founding Business Constituency member; Bus. Const rep to the Names
Council) can also vote in the NCC as a board member for, say, the humane
society (nonprofit protecting stray animals).  The answer is and should be
"no."  Consistent with past practices, the NCC would ask The Humane society
to find another person to participate and vote in the NCC.

This policy not only reduces conflicts of interest, but prevents "gaming" of
the DNSO.  We in the NCC are not all members of ccTLDs, registries,
registrars, Intellectual Property associations, or for-profit businesses, but
we and they are all members of some noncommercial organization.   An easy way
to eliminate the important -- and different -- voice of the NCC would be to
make sure that each person voting in the, say, Registrar Constituency also
voted in the NCC.  Under your rules, Bill, that "gaming" could take place
very easily.

Can we go back to real work now?
regards, kathy
ACM-IGP