[ncdnhc-discuss] Limit email sending....

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Tue Nov 27 20:24:43 CET 2001

OK, Eung Hwi's latest proposal makes sense.
(see below)

My concern with Adcom enforcement was that it literally
can take one week just to get 5 people from different
parts of the world to reach an agreement via email.

However, if this is done on a monthly basis Adcom
members can keep track of it.

It also allows people who are not on Adcom to inform
Adcom members of who is violating the rules, giving
us time to follow up and check out these assertions,
then take appropriate enforcement action.

There are a few more details regarding Adcom
action that need to be worked out, I will come up
with something in a few days and send it to the
list.

Let me weigh in very strongly on the issue of
whether sanctions should be imposed based
on the content of the message: NO!
That raises too many issues of subjective
judgement.

Another detail that needs attention is whether
adcom members should be exempt from the
requirement. My first inclination was that they
should not be, the rule should apply to all equally.
However, it also seems odd that if someone asks
me or another Adcom member a question
(e.g., what is the status of the UDRP Task Force?)
I would be unable to answer for a day because
I might have already sent two messages. However,
this is a fine tuning detail I could live with either
approach.

--MM

>>> Chun Eung Hwi <ehchun at peacenet.or.kr> 11/27/01 12:59PM >>>
1. Make a rule for moderating mailing list
- limit of two messages per day per poster
- first violation, one warning from adcom
- second violation, two weeks out of the list

2. At monthly level, adcom decides whom should be warned
and whom should be out of list next month and directly warns
or request list manager to take relevant action for the violator.
That decision should be depended only on the principle of "limit
of two messages per day per poster". This could be confirmed
objectively from our web archive.

3. List manager stops the posting of the person to be punished
for two weeks in accordance with adcom's request.