[ncdnhc-discuss] Limit email sending....

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Nov 27 20:16:54 CET 2001

At 07:44 PM 11/27/2001 +0100, Marc Schneiders wrote:
>On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, at 10:31 [=GMT-0800], Dave Crocker wrote:
> >
> > You intended to limit my response to the matter of posting limits?  You
> > should have said so.  It is very difficult to elicit a specific response
> > when you ask very general questions.
>
>Did I?

Yes.  "So, what Dave, do you propose?" was all that you queried, in
response to my note about the real problems in this group.  There is
nothing specific about such a query.  In fact it is difficult to imagine
how anyone could think otherwise.

> > Or we might consider limiting postings that are personally abusive.

Limits on the number of posts are normally imposed mechanically.  They do
not incur any penalties.  Policies vary.  Some lists simply drop the extra
posts.  Others hold them for review and possible approval by an
authority.  Others hold them until the next day.

Denial of posting priviledges is usually reserved for people who are
abusive.  The normal mechanism is to have a body of several people who
either initiate action or take action in response to complaints.  They work
from an acceptable use statement that describes what sort of posts are
unacceptable.

Such a system can work well.  The danger in the system is when those who
impose strictures are, themselves, compromised.  Then there tends to be
extremely selective enforcement.

d/