[ncdnhc-discuss] Membership eligibility for chapters

KathrynKL at aol.com KathrynKL at aol.com
Tue Nov 27 05:15:49 CET 2001

Dave:
What you have done to our list is sad.  You feel the unilateral right to post
over ten messages a day to this list -- creating a level of harassment and
noise that has driven many members who care about the issues pending before
ICANN -- off our list.  You have done the NCC a great disservice.

It is not "noncommercial organizations," per se, who the NCC represents (many
nonprofit organizations are trade associations with entirely commercial
members); we have chosen to represent "noncommercial speech and activity on
the Internet."  This is the language of our charter; this is the agreement of
our first meetings (Berlin and Santiago); this is the unique and special role
we play within the DNSO and ICANN.

Our NCC charter language is below.  It has been accepted; it is the language
of this Constituency.  It highlights our critical mission within the DNSO to
provide a voice and representation for organizations that "serve
non-commercial interests and provide services such as community organizing,
promotion of the arts, children's welfare, religion, education, scientific
research, human rights and the advancement of the Internet as a global
communications system available to all segments of society."

We are the counterbalance to the Intellectual Property Constituency who
represents the legal side of commercial interests, and Business Constituency
as well.  It is time to move on to the substantive matters at hand.   - kathy
kleiman, ACM-IGP

----------- NCC Charter ---------------

I. Goals of the Non-Commercial Constituency

The Non-Commercial Domain Name Holders Constituency has a special place in
the DNSO. The NCDNHC is intended to be independent of commercial interests.
Its members are organizations whose uses and applications of the Internet
are primarily non-commercial, including organizations which represent
individual domain name holders whose interests must be primarily
non-commercial.

Its purpose is to support non-commercial speech and activity on the
Internet, to protect the rights of non-commercial domain name holders, and
to forge together the interests of non-commercial domain name holders.

NCDNHC must provide the voice and representation for organizations that
serve non-commercial interests and provide services such as community
organizing, promotion of the arts, children's welfare, religion, education,
scientific research, human rights and the advancement of the Internet as a
global communications system available to all segments of society. The
interests of such organizations are not necessarily represented by the other
constituencies of the DNSO and deserve to be represented in the NCDNHC.

On 11/26/01 Crocker spit out the following: