Violation of ICANN Bylaws (was Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] FYI)

KathrynKL at aol.com KathrynKL at aol.com
Tue Nov 27 04:44:13 CET 2001

Bill:
>From the beginning, Constituencies sought to make sure that the special
balance established in the DNSO was maintained.  This cannot be done if one
constituency is overrun by interests from another constituency.

The Commercial Constituency took the lead in defining who could vote, and who
could not.  When I drafted the NCC Charter, I followed this lead -- because
it made sense to do so.  Let me give you the Commercial Constituency's
charter language:

"1. The following may become members of the Business Constituency: a. Any
association representing or organization comprised of for-profit corporations
whose primary goals include representation of the business and/or business
development interests of their members, which may be individual companies or
business associations/organizations. **[Special section ahead- KK]
Associations or organizations whose specific goals are to represent of the
interests of registries, registrars or ISPs or those whose specific interests
are to defend the Intellectual Property rights of their associates cannot
have full member status but may become observers. Observers do not have voice
or voting rights and cannot serve in any representative capacity on behalf of
the Business Constituency. ** "

Each constituency has its own voice and its own goals.  The NCC is unique in
its representation of the noncommercial voice -- the only noncommercial voice
in the DNSO.

regards, kathy
ACM-IGP