[ncdnhc-discuss] FYI

Chun Eung Hwi ehchun at peacenet.or.kr
Mon Nov 26 00:41:54 CET 2001

Dear Kent and others,

There are several points in "conflict of interest" issue.

One is the different concern or interest of NCDNHC from other commercial
entities. This is more general and very comprehensive difference as a
unique characteristic of NCDNHC from other constituencies of DNSO. Our
Charter reflects this. Already NCDNHC have represented our own positions
on most highlight issues emerged in DNSO discussions. Most resolutions of
NCDNHC shows up it well. Nevertheless, you argue that the interests of
commercial interests and non-commercial interests are very similar. It
simply means that you have a different idea of non-commercial interests
from other majority of NCDNHC members's thinking. Therefore, at least,
your argument is not fit to the present NCDNHC.

To avoid redundant representation of other constituency members,
non-voting member system was set up. This is also carefully devised to
hold the unique characterisctics of non-commercial community and to keep
it from the plausible distortion of the concern of this community through
intentional or unintentional intervention of other commercial interest
groups.

Above two points are definitely applied to organization rather than
individual. You are exactly right for this respect. However, in line with
the spirit of those provisions, and given the importance of contact point
of member organization - now unsubscription of contact point email address
from announce list are regarded as expressing withdrawal from NCDNHC
because then we could not have any standing communication way, it must
be very natural that such person who are working in internet name/address
resources related industrial field and furthermore also positively
participate in other constituencies would give up their status of contact
point of their organizations in NCDNHC.  If such autonomous decision is
not to be expected, NCDNHC should take some measure for that so that its
value and spirit of non-commercial group could not be defamed.

Another one is more specific "conflict of interest", which means the
participation of those who have direct commercial interest in ICANN
related businesses in directly or indirectly affecting issues debates and
making policies of NCDNHC as a voting member. We adopted one resolution
regarding this issue - Refer to
http://ncdnhc.icann-ncc.org/docs/resolution/Melbourne/ME-CoI.html. And
ICANN has one document for this policy. - Refer to
http://ncdnhc.icann-ncc.org/docs/resolution/Melbourne/ME-CoI.html.  In
this context, the conflict of interest is applied to individual person but
not organization.  Up to now, in our constituency, whenever this issue of
conflict of interest is raised up, those cases no doubt have had this
problem. Even in this case, the most desirable solution is disclosure and
self-declining but if not, NCDNHC should take some measure.  Above
referred ICANN document of "conflict of interest" seems to suggest a good
solution in those cases.

As you pointed out it, some parts are not so clear in NCDNHC Charter even
though we could easily induce the above reasoning. And in fact, if the
persons in problem would take up reasonable attitude to this conflict of
interest, some form of enforcement mechanism are not necessarily needed.
But if we could no longer expect such a reasonable and wise solution, the
only one thing we could do is to revise and clarify Charter's provisions.

Regards,

Chun Eung Hwi
Chun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet | phone:     (+82) 2- 583-3033
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82) 019-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea       | eMail:   ehchun at peacenet.or.kr