[ncdnhc-discuss] MdR meeting agenda concern

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Nov 7 02:34:43 CET 2001

At 03:28 AM 11/7/2001 +0900, Chun Eung Hwi wrote:

>You are pointing out the role of IETF for making a technical standard. We
>know it.

I was not pointing out the IETF's role.  I was pointing out that Karl is
refusing to take a technical matter to the appropriate technical body.

However, concerning Marina del Rey:

>Then, what do you think that without request and concrete
>proposal or recommendations of PSO, Stuat Lynn had set out the agenda of
>this coming MdR meeting.

I was not aware that the agenda for ICANN meetings needed to be approved by
the PSO.  I also was not aware that the Marina del Rey agenda was
established by Stuart Lynn by himself.

>What about the fact that ICANN meeting has
>abrubtly become a tutorial meeting. Is it technically credible?

Part of the time will probably be tutorial, yes.  I suspect that more
tutorial work is needed than will be provided.  From the kinds of comments
that have been made in the NCC, it is clear that many participants to not
understand the nature of system-wide security.

However I believe that the primary purpose of the security track for Marina
del Rey is to develop community discussion -- and perhaps consensus --
about DNS security issues and recommendations.

When a new topic is discussed by a group, the beginning always has
tutorials.  This permits people to learn about the topic in general and it
permits them to learn about each other's perspectives.  If you object to
this, I cannot imagine what alternative you would suggest.