[ncdnhc-discuss] Membership Status of Silicon Valley Public Access Link

George Sadowsky George.Sadowsky at attglobal.net
Mon Nov 5 19:11:34 CET 2001

All,

This issue of conflict of interest comes up in many different
situations.  It's consuming a lot of time on this list.

When I was on the CREN Board in the mid-90s, Ira Fuchs made the
comment that one of the reasons we happened to be on the CREN board
was probably that we DID HAVE conflicts of interest.  What he meant
was that networking was then a small community, and each of us were
involved in multiple activities where there could conceivably be
conflicts of interest between roles.

The community is now larger and more diverse, but the same situation
applies.  Those of us who are actively involved in various aspects of
networking are generally involved in more than one way.  In addition,
most of us have one or more jobs which implicitly represent
additional specific interests.

At CREN, each year we started our Board meeting with a verbal
disclosure of all other activities which could possibly conflict with
our role as CREN Directors, and we were careful to recuse (remove)
ourselves on an individual basis whenever an issue involving a
potential conflict came up.

This worked well, in part because we often met in person, we all came
from the same culture (United States), and there was a high level of
trust among Board members.

The fundamental principle here is that the best way to avoid conflict
of roles is to declare conflicts, up front, and generate an
environment of mutual trust that accepts individuals'
self-assessments of when conflicts exist.

Is that something this group could work toward?

George