[ncdnhc-discuss] About Marketing Practices in .ORG

Chris Bailey chrisbailey at gn.apc.org
Sun Dec 30 17:06:14 CET 2001

At 12:01 30/12/2001 +0900, you wrote:
>Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 22:29:08 -0500
>From: "Milton Mueller" <mueller at syr.edu>
>To: <chrisbailey at gn.apc.org>
>Cc: <discuss at icann-ncc.org>
>Subject: Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] About Marketing Practices in .ORG
>
>You already know the answer to that question.
>But if you actually read the draft, please
>identify any relevant difference in the policies
>the two drafts would be likely to achieve.
>Let's not get hung up on the words. (Leave that
>to Mr. Touton.)

>So how come you have now put forward a draft to the TF for an unsponsored
>.org.

OK. Let's rephrase the question. Why have you put forward a draft to the TF
*before* presenting it here?

I recognise you have tried to make a draft that, in effect, comes close to
making .org sponsored while technically not being sponsored, but we had the
right to consider the adequacy of your efforts before you submitted them to
the TF. Indeed, we had the right to consider whether you should submit a
new draft at all. My personal view, as I have made clear, is that we should
take Mr Touton on head on, for the sake of defending the principle of
"bottom-up" consensus that ICANN pretends to represent.

On one at least one central question your attempt to create a sponsored
.org through sleight of hand rather than us taking on Mr Touton falls far
short - the question of a measure of control over registrars. For a number
of us this is a vital question. Four members of this constituency, myself
(Association for Progressive Communications), Manon Ress (Essential
Information), Rick Weingarten, (American Library Association), Adam Peake
(GLOCOM Tokyo), plus Duncan Pruett (International Confederation of Free
Trade Unions) submitted a statement to the public comment to that effect.
We did so at *your* behest.

As was clearly expressed here at the time, there were two key issues behind
our concern to have some control over the registrars. One concerned the
need to involve the registrars in the marketing and image making of .org.
The other concerned the possibility of diverting some of the profits from
.org into use for non-commercial Internet purposes, particularly on digital
divide issues. After all, if .org is to represent a non-commercial domain
space then why shouldn't the profits from it go to non-commercial use
rather than lining the pockets of commercial interests.

*Both* these principles have now been established in the .coop Registrar
Agreement. As a matter of fact, they are there because some of us fought
for them with regard to .org and the sponsors of .coop decided to take them
up as well. But while they have succeeded, under very difficult
circumstances actually (and with some problems dealing with a certain Mr
Touton), in establishing these principles for .coop you have decided
unilaterally to abandon this issue that some of us made very clear we
regarded as vital.

What we now have regarding the possibility of producing any *financial
resources* from .org for the non-commercial Internet sector is only:

 >2c. Support for noncommercial participants
 >Applicants should propose methods of supporting and
 >assisting non-commercial participants in the ICANN
 >process.

But this is where we came in, Milton. This was *your* original proposal. I
seem to remember it wasn't terribly well received. A number of people
called instead for making the narrowing of the digital divide the priority
issue, *as the .coop Registrar Agreement now does*. I proposed a more far
reaching position concerning the establishment of a trust fund for wider
non-commercial Internet issues. At first you dismissed this, but then
conceded it could be viable.

But now you have simply reverted to *your own* original position and
without discussing it with the rest of us you have submitted a new draft to
the TF. Frankly, I find this outrageous.

Chris Bailey