[ncdnhc-discuss] early history of .ORG

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Sat Dec 29 15:33:27 CET 2001

Dear Dave,
On 21:15 28/12/01, Dave Crocker said:
>It is always interesting to hear you try to recite Internet history.  (It
>is also interesting to see your disdain at being corrected, given that one
>would expect a professor to have at least a modicum of concern for accuracy.)
>
>The choice of the com/net/org domain names came after lengthy community
>discussion that basically failed to reach consensus about the particular
>choices.  Finally, Jake Feinler who then headed the Arpanet/Internet
>Network Information Center (at SRI International) decided on the 3 names.

As explained several times, "com" was first introduced end of 1979 in the
Philips network. This was the root to the Tymnet public network (gateway in
Eindhoven) beause the software was named  Tymcom/Tymcom. "net" was planned
simultaneously for the Telenet Gateway on IPSS (International British
Telecom service) in London - which became operational later on. "com" and
"net" were consistently used from then on for each public or private
interconnect by Tymnet (i.e. 100% of the international public data services
interconnections).

They become buzwords of the time used by public and private operators and
users all over the world what ever the technology (X25/X.75/T2 links to
Tymnet were refered as "com" connexions, to Telenet as "net", to Transpac
as "tpc", to British gateway as "uk" and public net as "pss", Canada as
"tlg": this replaced the DNICs and ISO 3166 3 letter codes in current jargon).

I see no reason why ARPA/Internet would have failed to that habit. As I
reported many times, the only Internet oddities were the strange disk
inconsistant reverse order and the use of Pouzin's zoned addresses.

I would be glad to investigate history more in detail. Would you have the
mail of Jake Feinler?
Jefsey